Melissa Wehr, LISW, RPT-S
I have more than 10 years of experience working with children, adolescents and their families. My areas of expertise include, but are not limited to, working with children and adolescents affected by:
- low self-esteem
- social issues
- sibling/family relationships
I have also worked with adults affected by similar issues.
Play Therapy: I have worked with children as young as age 3, and as a Registered Play Therapist for more than six years, often use play therapy techniques to help children express themselves through play.
- Former President of the Board of the Iowa Association for Play Therapy
- Board member of IAPT for a total of nine years including time as Vice President and Secretary
Children with Diabetes: I also specialize in working with children with diabetes who are experiencing adjustments to diagnosis or other social/emotional/behavioral issues related to diabetes. I can and have worked individually with either the child and/or the parents or the family as a whole.
As a person living with Type 1 diabetes myself, many families have found I offer a unique perspective when working through the experiences many children and families face. I can also apply this personal experience to those affected by other chronic illnesses.
My previous work experience includes time working for Tanager Place in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in a variety of capacities. I provided skill building and therapy to children and their families in the community setting (in their homes) as well as the residential setting at Tanager Place. I spent most of my time at Tanager Place providing outpatient therapy services in the Mental Health Clinic while also providing administrative duties and clinical supervision in the Clinic for three years.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from the University of Iowa
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology from Truman State University
- Licensed Independent Social Worker
- Registered Play Therapist–Supervisor
- During my education, I completed multiple internships focused on educating and providing support to children and their families with a variety of mental health concerns.
- I also completed an internship through the renowned University of Iowa Partial Hospitalization program which treats patients with eating disorders.